These Grain-Free Blueberry and Lemon Scones are absolutely delicious, perfect for breakfast, tea time or dessert!
Blueberry And Lemon Scones 💙
Scones are a great weakness of ours. They look so glorious behind the glass cases in coffee shops, don’t they? The crystallized sugar, the better-than-a-biscuit texture just lures us in every time. The only problem is, the majority of coffee shops do not carry a grain-free variety. And when you need a scone, you need a scone! So I say, forget the coffee shop! Make them at home and while you’re at it, treat yourself to a proper afternoon tea.
This way, you won’t have to wait for a table or feel shy about having more than one. 😉 And you will certainly want more than one because these blueberry and lemon scones are out of this world, I think you’ll find you like them even better than the glutinous version, I know we do!
**For the Dairy-Free version, use almond milk or coconut milk in place of half and half and use EarthBalance spread in place of butter.
**For the blueberries-we have tried both dried and fresh, both work beautifully.
**Don’t be afraid to add your own flavors! Cranberry orange is another favorite of ours, just substitute the orange for the lemon and dried cranberries for the blueberries!
How We Make Our Scones:
Whisk dry ingredients together and cube butter (or butter substitute). Cut butter into flour using pastry cutter Create a small well in the center of mix, crack the egg into the well and add half and half (or milk substitute), lemon juice and vanilla. Then, using your hands, bring dry mix into wet ingredients and combine thoroughly until you have a ball of dough.
Dough will be sticky. Rinse hands and let dough sit for 5 minutes. Finally, work dried blueberries into dough and form dough into wheel. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cut into 4-8 pieces depending on desired serving size. Dust with sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden and scones are firm to pressing. If you find the edges are browning too quickly, place a sheet of foil over top. Mix glaze while scones are cooling and drizzle over top. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a savory scone, you’ll love our White Cheddar + Jalapeño Scone Recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch *(not potato flour)
- 1/3 cup dried blueberries or 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (grain-free) I use Hain’s
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter (Earth Balance for Dairy-Free)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons half and half (or coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar (Grain-Free, we use “Wholesome!” brand)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Milk or milk substitute (Almond milk, coconut milk, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk dry ingredients, making sure all is incorporated well together
- Zest lemon over mix and whisk again
- Cut chilled butter into small cubes. Then, with a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture. Stir mixture with fork ensuring butter is no larger than pea size.
- Create a dent in the middle of the mix (in the same fashion you would when making homemade pasta) Crack egg into the dent and add half and half, lemon juice and vanilla
- Working with your hands, bring the dry mix into wet ingredients, combining thoroughly until you have formed and ball of dough. Dough will be sticky and not as firm as traditional glutinous dough. Wash hands and let dough sit for 5 minutes
- Work dried blueberries into dough and form dough into a wheel and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Cut dough wheel in half and then into quarters (You make cut into eight pieces, but keep in mind baking time will be less. Place scones 1-2 inches apart. Dust with sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until tops are golden and scones are firm to pressing. Let scones cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack or plate. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled scones. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, dairyfree, glutenfree, scones, blueberry, breakfast, bread