Mornings are brighter when you’ve got scrumptious Keto Blueberry Lemon Scones to look forward to!
Keto Blueberry Lemon Scones
Lemon + blueberries take center stage again this week with these incredibly delicious grain-free, low-carb scones. This recipe is based on our keto savory scones, but of course we’ve subbed in deliciously sweet & tart flavors to entice and lull your tastebuds into some springtime breakfast fare.
I always find great satisfaction in the making of scones. From the first, delightful blast of citrus you get from zesting the lemon, to the feel of the dough and cutting the wheel into beautiful and tidy triangular shapes. And by the time you’ve got them all set on the baking sheet, ready to head into the oven, those little guys feel like friends. I love giving them a word of encouragement on their way into the heat, I swear it makes a difference. It’s like Bob Ross and his happy trees, you can’t tell me his words didn’t influence the final result! 😉
We recommend these with the glaze as it’s extra scrumptious, but they’re fantastic on their own as well if you so choose. However you make them, we hope you love them. Happy Baking!
If you love these scones, we think you’ll also enjoy our Keto Cheddar + Chive Scones!
4.2 net carbs per scone
- 1 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Granular Swerve Sugar Replacement
- 2 teaspoons guar gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed (Earth Balance for dairy-free)
- 1 egg large, not jumbo
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2.5 tablespoons of half and half or heavy cream (coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or lemon extract)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (you can slice them in half so each scone has plenty)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, Swerve, guar gum, baking powder and baking soda. Add lemon zest and whisk again.
- Cut chilled butter into flour with a pastry cutter in the same manner you would for a pie crust.
- Add egg, lemon juice, half + half, vanilla extract and mix them into flour by hand until dough forms. Dough will be sticky. Let your dough rest for just a couple of minutes while washing hands from excess dough. (The dough will thicken a bit while resting).
- Now work your blueberries into the dough so that they’re evenly distributed, then form the dough into a disk. (See our traditional blueberry scone recipe for photo instructions of this process.)
- Place your dough disk onto your parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten it out just a bit and cut it into 8ths. Spread them a bit apart on the cookie sheet so they’re not too close.
- Place a full piece of foil lightly over top of the scones and bake at 350 degrees for a total of 36-38 minutes. At the half way mark, turn the baking sheet 180 degrees- this will help them to bake more evenly.
- Remove the foil for just the last 2 minutes of the bake and then remove from oven to cool. The scones at this point should be firm on the exterior but a touch tender in the center, they will firm up fully during the cooling process. They will be golden on top, with a bit of browning on the edges. Let your scones cool untouched for a full 20+ minutes as they firm up.
- While you’re waiting for the scones to cool, go ahead and mix together your glaze. With a hand mixer, blend together your cream cheese and butter. Add lemon and blend again. Finally, add in Swerve and salt, then blend one last time. You can add a bit more lemon juice to thin it out if desired.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled scones and serve. You can also place them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes so the glaze will set before serving.
- Enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and place in refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35-40 min
- Category: Low-Carb
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Scones
Keywords: Grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, keto, low-carb, blueberry, lemon, scones, breakfast, brunch, bread, glaze, sugar-free