Vegan + Grain-Free Breadsticks
Breadsticks/Baguettes (grain-free + vegan) 🌟
Everyone loves breadsticks, they’re just yummy, crusty, chewy goodness. Add toppings and a side of marinara for dipping and I guarantee you’ll have a house full of happy people— kids especially, because it’s basically pizza deconstructed– and something you can pick up with your hands!🙌
This recipe is a breeze— just one bowl, some shaping of the dough, then off for a quick bake. And, as you see in the photos, this recipe can be used to make a baguette! (Check out the tips below for details).
We have made a mountain of garlic bread baguettes in the past few days and we still aren’t tired of them because they’re so crazy good!😍
(And on a side note, this dough is actually the base for our bagels, just a different cooking method. And we’re testing donuts with it as well, but I digress, let’s get back to the recipe at hand!) I am really excited for you to try these breadsticks, I think you’ll like them as much as we do–although don’t blame us if you become addicted!😋
Here Are Today’s Tips:
-After combining all of your ingredients, make sure to let your dough sit in the bowl for 5 minutes. It will thicken slightly. Then move it to the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
-Toppings can be a wonderful addition to your breadsticks—vegan cheese, or garlic, salt and olive oil make them even tastier! Add them to the breadsticks after they have baked 10 minutes, then return them to the oven until golden.
-This dough can also be used to make pizza crust, just work the dough out into a circle on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Then add your sauce + toppings and bake for an additional 15 minutes or so at 400 degrees.
-And this recipe can also be used to make one large Baguette! Just add 1/4 tsp baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free) to the dry mix. Shape your dough into a baguette, brush with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes. You will need to let it cool for 15 minutes before slicing. You can then add butter + garlic and return it to the oven for another five minutes for delicious garlic bread!!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also love our Vegan + Grain-Free Cheezy Mac. Happy Baking!
- Total Time: 40 min
- Yield: 6 large bread sticks 1x
- 1 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk, or any plain milk substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra for brushing
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot starch, potato starch, guar gum, baking soda and salt.
- Add milk or milk substitute, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Bring wet and dry ingredients together with a fork and then work through by hand until dough forms. Dough will be very sticky. Scrape dough off hands and let sit for 5 minutes. Wash Hands.
- Shape dough into a square on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (You can very lightly dust the parchment paper with potato starch if you find the dough too sticky) Use a knife to cut into 5 pieces as pictured above. Gently roll each piece out to measure about 7-8 inches or so.
- Brush each piece with olive oil and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Check in at 10 minutes–at this point you can brush with additional olive oil and garlic or add vegan cheese for cheesy sticks! Cook until golden let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Have some marinara sauce ready for dipping!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Reheat in microwave or oven. Enjoy!
- FOR THE BAGUETTE:
- There is only one addition to the ingredients for the Baguette. Add 1/4 tsp baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free) to the dry mix and continue through step 3.
- On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, use the entire amount of dough and mold it into a baguette shape. Make a slice down the middle lengthwise about 1/2 and inch deep. Brush with olive oil and bake for about 20-25 minutes. At the halfway mark, brush with vegan butter or additional olive oil. You can raise the temperature to 400 degrees at this point for a more golden color.
- Let the baguette cool for a FULL 15 MINUTES before slicing. It will still be warm enough to melt butter. Alternatively, after slicing, you can place butter, fresh garlic and a tiny bit of salt in the grooves and bake for another five minutes. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, breadsticks, vegan, dairyfree, appetizer, dinner
These breadsticks look so delicious! And what a bonus that this recipe can be used in various ways. I love it!
Thank you dear Noelle! I appreciate it so much. I’m so excited about this dough and very thankful it’s working out for other uses!
These are soooooo good! They taste like I remember bread tasting and that’s tough to do!!
I have made these so many times both as breadsticks and as baguettes! I usually double the recipe, they freeze very well and reheat easily in the microwave! Thank you so much!
Awww thank you so very much!! 😀 I’m thrilled you’re enjoying the recipe as both breadsticks and baguettes, and so glad they’re reheating well after freezing!