Magic Keto Birthday Cupcakes
Let your imagination run wild with these incredibly delicious + whimsical Sugar-Free Magic Keto Birthday Cupcakes! Fun for little ones as well as us big kids, too! 😉
Magic Keto Birthday Cupcakes
Hi friends, we thought some celebratory treats were in order! I know it’s been difficult being confined to our homes during this time of quarantine, but it doesn’t have to limit our imaginations! It’s an opportunity to expand our minds–or at the very least– an answer to boredom. 😉 And as you can see, these are crazy with color– but if you desire a more muted approach, create whatever you see in your mind’s eye! The most important thing is that you have fun!
And I need to express just how delicious these grain-free goodies are for a moment–they have an old fashioned buttery vanilla birthday cupcake flavor that goes beautifully with the dreamy low-carb cream cheese frosting. There’s an equally scrumptious dairy-free option in case you have a sensitive tummy.
I also love these festive low-carb cupcakes for family baking–these remind me a bit of rainbow and unicorn cakes- the pretty, vibrant colors ignite that fantastical place in our minds where fairies and pegasuses are possible! It’s a super fun project for both kids and adults alike.
- You’ll need either 3 large ziplock bags or 3 pastry bags for the different batter colors. You’ll also need another bag if you wish to pipe the frosting–it can be spread on with a knife if preferred.
- We used a large closed star tip for the frosting.
- I recommend this helpful video from Mortar and Pastry on how to make 2 toned frosting, her fantastic tutorial makes it a cinch to create that perfect color swirl with beautiful results!
- If you’d like to use an edible gold glitter, here’s a great option that’s FDA approved called Bakely Gold Edible Glitter
- As always–read through the ingredients + instructions prior to baking to avoid stress or mishaps–it’s so much more fun this way!!
If you love these Keto Magic Birthday Cupcakes, you might also enjoy our:
-Keto Devil’s Food Cupcakes w/Sprinkles
–Low-Carb Lemon Lavender Cupcakes
Enjoy the Cupcakes, Happy Baking!Print
Magic Keto Birthday Cupcakes
- Total Time: about 45 min
- Yield: 10 cupcakes 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
*Each full cupcake has 5.3 net carbs
*Keep in mind that Swerve has zero net carbs
- 2 + 1/2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1.5 tablespoons full fat coconut milk or half + half
- 1/4 cup melted butter or Earth Balance for Dairy-Free
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (gives extra fluffy texture)
- a few drops of food coloring for the batter, see instructions below ( you can also use Natural Food Coloring) We used pink, blue and a touch of yellow here.
For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place liners into cupcake tin and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift then whisk together your almond flour, Swerve Confectioner, baking powder, gelatin and salt. (Using a whisk will make the almond flour move through the sieve more quickly, just move it back and forth, helping it to push through).
- Add eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Whisk together until batter is smooth, it will thicken slightly after mixing.
- Divide and pour batter equally into 3 small bowls. Add coloring of choice, about 3-4 drops to each bowl and blend together with a fork–use more for brighter colors. Pour each color of batter into it’s own piping bag or large zip lock bag. Snip off the end tip of each bag–batter will be a bit thicker at this point, so it won’t come flooding out too quickly– but place them on their sides on the counter when not in use.
- Look at the photo above of the cupcake liner, you can pipe three or four dollops of colored batter into the liner (don’t worry if your batter is thicker looking than the photo) and then you’re going to want to pipe another layer of 3 or four more dollops on top–you can alternate the colors however you wish-it will create nice blocks of color when it’s baked. Just make sure the two layers of dollops don’t fill each liner more than 2/3 of the way full. (This will yield about 10 cupcakes–a bit of the batter gets lost from dividing the batter into 3 bags).
- Place your prepared cupcake tin into a preheated oven and bake uncovered for 12 minutes, then place a piece of foil lightly overtop and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. LET YOUR CUPCAKES COOL COMPLETELY before removing from the tin–the gelatin will transform the cupcake texture a bit during the cooling process and we don’t want to interrupt it. (It’s worth the wait!)
- Go ahead and prepare your frosting while you’re waiting for the cupcakes to cool:
- You can then divide your frosting into 2-3 bowls and add a touch of desired food coloring to each. See the “Tips” section above in the post for the link to which frosting tip we used and a link to a helpful tutorial on two-toned frosting for a pretty, fancy looking swirl! Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired. You can also find a link to edible gold glitter in Tips section.
- Serve and enjoy! Place any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: about 30 min
- Category: cupcakes
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: keto
Keywords: keto, low-carb, magic, unicorn, rainbow, cupcakes, birthday cake, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free
Did you make these for my birthday? 😉 You are hands down the most creative person when it comes to recipes! These magical cupcakes are adorable. This recipe comes just in time…I know what I am baking for our celebration!
Aww haha, yes indeed my friend! I so wish I could send them over for your birthday, I hope you guys will love them! 😀 And thank you so much, you are too kind!
These are so perfect to brighten all of our days. Love! Thank you!
Thank you dear Stacey!! I’m so glad they brighten your day, it’s so sweet of you to say that! 😀
I’m getting all giddy over these!! What gorgeous delicious looking cupcakes. These would be so fun for a princess or pixie fairy birthday party!
Aww thank you my friend!! And I love that, birthday pixie party is such a wonderful and magical idea! 😀
Catherine, these cupcakes are magical!! Truly. I love all the bright colors, they’re definitely worthy of a birthday celebration!! I’d be thrilled with a dozen of these on my big day 🙂
Aww thank you dear Katherine, that is so sweet of you to say, your comment makes my day!! 😀