Paleo Spoon Bread 💛
Spoon Bread may not be the prettiest of dishes but it’s most certainly the yummiest! I grew up on Southern Spoon Bread, the kind that’s somewhere in between the texture of bread and soufflé. It’s savory, soft, smooth and delicious. And best served fresh out of the oven, spooned on to a plate with a healthy pat of butter. It’s the perfect side to a seafood dinner but also works beautifully with something like pork chops and collards. So yummy!! Traditionally, it’s made with corn meal but we used Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour with amazing results. I seriously cannot believe how authentic the taste is, it literally brought a tear to my eye! I have a few tips for you then it’s off to the recipe!
-You will need a 6 inch soufflé dish.
-You can find Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour on Amazon or on their site. Their paleo flour also works great for paleo pancakes and pizza crust.
-Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you add them to the flour.
-Grease your soufflé dish well.
-It’s very important that the oven is preheated to 375 degrees before baking, no cheating!😋
-Enjoy this dish hot! Will serve up to 5. It can be baked in 5 small ramekins, but keep in mind that the baking time will shorten to about 20 minutes as they will cook more quickly in shallow dishes.
Happy Baking + enjoy the recipe!!☺️
- 1 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (plain, unsweetened) coconut milk works here too or regular milk for non paleo.
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (or butter substitute)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Paleo baking flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add in eggs, almond milk, melted butter and whisk batter until smooth. Batter will be fairly loose.
- Pour batter into a greased 6 inch (or 1 quart) soufflé dish. Place into preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees. Check in at 30 minutes (top will be a bit golden and crusty at this point) and gently cover with foil for the last 10 minutes or so. (Don’t worry, the bread will not fall).
- With an oven mitt on each hand, carefully remove spoon bread from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then serve immediately. Texture will be in between bread and soufflé. Place a pat of butter or butter substitute over each serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: paleo, grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, spoonbread, bread, dinner