Mmmmmm, who doesn’t love a thick slice of red velvet cake piled high with frosting? We certainly do and can’t wait for you to try our low-carb version, it’s one of our favorites!! In a hurry? Make cupcakes with the batter instead of a layer cake!
Happy August, Friends!❤️One month closer to fall weather, woohoo!! At this point in the summer my enthusiasm for the heat has usually waned and been replaced by a countdown mentality with excuses to start posting pumpkin recipes early–I haven’t quite reached that level of desperation yet, but be warned, it won’t be long! The good news is, I have a simply scrumptious recipe for you today that I think you’re going to go nuts for! I know, I don’t like to sound overconfident, but this low-carb red velvet cake is the real deal!
And you can use our Swerve Sprinkles to add flair to the top of your cake! That recipe can be found at the end of our Keto Devil’s food Cake Post. You can cut them into any shape you like and go crazy with the colors. We recommend topping the cake with your sprinkles right before serving. They add such a lovely touch-both visually and flavor/texture-wise.
I have to talk about the taste for a moment–these layers are sweet fluffiness with just the perfect touch of chocolate–rich, dreamy and light all at once, like a blushed cloud. I got so excited after our first test, I knew we had a winner!!
Did we mention this recipe is also perfect for cupcakes? We used the crumbs of the 12th cupcake as topping for the other 11. If you need that last cupcake, you can instead add color to your frosting or use our Swerve Sprinkles to add a decorative touch.
Happy Baking, Friends!! Enjoy the recipe! 🙂
5.4 net carbs per serving
**See Keto Sprinkle Recipe Info Below
- 1+ 3/4 cups almond flour
- 2/3 cup (No substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp whole milk (or full fat coconut milk)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (Watkins brand is a more natural alternative). Gel color is more concentrated, only use about 1-2 teaspoons .
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Start with your wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together your milk, eggs, olive oil, vanilla extract, food coloring and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until smooth, but do not over-blend.
- Then sift the Swerve Confectioner, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder over top and incorporate into batter with whisk.
- Place layers into oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Carefully rotate the pans 180 degrees and lightly cover with foil at the halfway mark. At 20-25 minutes the layers will be ready to come out, they’ll still be a touch soft. Let them cool COMPLETELY and once they are cool, run a knife around the edges and carefully flip them over onto a cooling rack or plates and let them rest for another 5-10 minutes before frosting. While you’re waiting for your cake layers or cupcakes to cool, go ahead and blend together your frosting.
- With a hand mixer, blend together your softened cream cheese and butter.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes, serve and enjoy!! For layer cake, it is easiest to first freeze the layers. Then frost and stack each layer, finally frost the top and sides. We used our Swerve sprinkles for the pink and red topping, you can find that recipe at the bottom of our Keto Devil’s Food Cake Post.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate, enjoy!
Keywords: keto, grainfree, glutenfree, lowcarb, dairy-free, redvelvet, cake, cupcakes, birthday, party