These Grain-Free + Vegan Churros are a donut lover’s dream. Perfect for a special weekend brunch and did we mention these are also Paleo?
As a rule, I generally try to steer clear of fried foods. It’s the whole, I love my heart and need it to work, kind of thing. But the churro, my friends, is a definite exception to this rule. It’s a once in a while treat that when made, receives my complete and utter devotion. It’s just too delicious– and absolutely worth the splurge. And as they say, everything in moderation, right??😊
They’re also incredibly easy to make–20 minutes from start to finish. I definitely recommend getting the family involved too–fried dough has a way of making everyone happy, especially when it’s rolled in sugar and dipped in chocolate! Just make sure to keep the little ones at a safe distance from the skillet.
Just a few tips for you today:
-We use a Fry Daddy for this recipe, but a skillet will work beautifully as well.
-A large ziplock bag with the corner tip cut off works well to pipe the dough. If you want to get fancy with it, we use these pastry bags with this star tip.
-For a quick, honey sweetened chocolate dipping sauce, melt 4oz of unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate and then stir in 1 tbsp coconut oil. Then stir in 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup). Slowly blend in 2 tsp room temp almond milk + 1 tsp vanilla extract and combine until smooth.
Enjoy The Recipe + Happy Churro Making!😊Print
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free).
- 2/3 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- vegetable oil for frying (paleo use coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon for dusting
- honey (or maple) sweetened chocolate dipping sauce (refer to the “tips” section in post above).
- Whisk together almond flour, arrowroot starch, potato starch, guar gum, baking soda + baking powder.
- Add milk, honey, olive oil, apple cider vinegar + vanilla extract to flour mix. Combine well, the batter will be thick.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet or Fry Daddy until it reach 360 degrees. While it is heating, go ahead and mix together your coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Then place your batter/dough into a large pastry bag with a large star tip. Alternatively, you can use a large ziplock bag and cut off the corner tip.
- Pipe dough into oil, fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Use tongs to adjust the shape of the churro while frying. Remove with slotted spoon and place an paper towels to drain. Roll in cinnamon sugar, serve with chocolate dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, vegan, churros, donuts, breakfast, recipe