These Easy Low-Carb Whoopie Pies are super simple to make. Get ready for smiles all around because these Grain-Free treats bring joy to any chocolate dessert lover.
Woohoo for Whoopie Pies! I don’t need to tell you how magical a good Whoopie Pie is.
First of all, it’s just fun to say- and certainly fun to eat as well as being satisfying to gaze upon—similar to stepping into your favorite bakery and seeing the rows of napoleons, eclairs and tarts– your senses are overwhelmed in just the right way. But as where an eclair is meant to be savored bite by bite, the whoopee pie is meant to be devoured. And I know what you’re thinking—shut up already and tell me about the recipe!
The luscious cream cheese filling in these pies is sandwiched between our keto cookie-cake rounds. We tested a super fluffy, puffy variety as well as firmer cookies. But we created a happy medium that has all the yumminess of cake with a touch of cookie to it– they’re soft with a hint of chewiness.
I’m happy to say that these can be made quickly, the entire process including baking and assembly comes in under an hour. This is especially good news when cravings are strong!
These can also be frozen, so you can take one out at a time–this is a good way to keep yourself from inhaling the whole batch. We all know how easily “one more bite” can turn into “now where did they go?!” 😂
- We do recommend sifting the dry ingredients together, it’s not absolutely essential, but it makes a special difference!
- We used an ice cream scooper to scoop up the batter but if you have some pastry bags on hand, you can pipe each round onto the parchment paper in a method similar to piping macarons-just larger. You can use a toothpick to even them out.
- To spice things up, you can add food coloring to the frosting and experiment with your favorite flavored extracts–pastel colors look particularly pretty with chocolate. Add strawberry, cherry or almond extracts to the cream cheese filling in place of the vanilla. (Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake Whoopie Pie anyone? Yum!)
If you love this recipe, we think you’ll also love our:
Enjoy The Recipe, Happy Baking!
*5.7 net carbs per serving
*Swerve has zero net carbs
For The “Cookies”
- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup Swerve Granular Sugar Replacement
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (we use Droste brand for extra rich color and flavor)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-Free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1.5 tablespoons full fat coconut milk (or you can use half + half instead)
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
For The Cream Cheese Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, Granular Swerve, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. (Sift this flour mixture into another bowl for finer texture).
- Add eggs, milk, olive oil, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Blend with whisk until everything is evenly incorporated. Batter will be thick.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the batter (just half a scoop each) and place it onto your parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- You can use a toothpick to even out the circles, they should be roughly about 2.5 – 3 inches inches in diameter and create plenty of space between each round as the batter will spread while baking.
- You’ll have 15 rounds total–that makes 7 whoopie pies with one extra cookie in case one falls or breaks.
- Place your cookie sheets into the oven, one on the top rack and one on the bottom. Bake for 12-14 minutes, then let them cool completely. They will firm up a bit during the cooling process.You can place the cookie sheets into the freezer for 15 minutes if you’re in a hurry, works like a charm.
- Make your filling while you’re waiting for the cookies to cool: With a hand mixer, blend together your softened cream cheese and butter.
- Run a thin spatula under each cookie to free it from the parchment paper. Flip half of them over–these are the cookies you will spread the filling on. Pipe or spread filling and place a cookie on top. Repeat until you’ve constructed all 7 whoopie pies.
- Serve and enjoy! Place any leftovers in an airtight container to keep them moist and refrigerate.
- *See Tips section in post above for filling color and alternate flavor recommendations.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 12-14 min
- Category: Low-Carb
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Desserts
Keywords: low-carb, keto, whoopie pies, creme pies, chocolate, cream cheese, gluten-free baking, dairy-free, grain-free, snacks