*Each burger with keto bun has 5.8 net carbs
*Read through the ingredients and instructions first, it removes stress and makes the process more enjoyable. 🙂
For The Burgers:
- 10 ounces of canned salmon (we like Chicken Of The Sea Pink Salmon or for wild caught, we like Wild Planet Pink Salmon.) *You can use fresh cooked salmon, just make sure you pat it dry first.
- 1/3 cup mayo (we use Hellman’s for Keto and Primal Kitchen or homemade for SCD)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (Lea + Perrins is Gluten-Free)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or Tabasco Sauce (optional)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Keto + SCD Bread crumbs (or your favorite bread crumbs)
- 1/2 of a medium sized red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- a touch of cracked pepper and salt
- fresh dill for garnish and added flavor
- We serve these with our Keto/SCD Rolls, but they’re also great over a green salad.
Optional Dressing/Sandwich Spread
Horseradish Sauce: (Or try our Green House Dressing for SCD)
- 1 eight oz container sour cream (Kite Hill for dairy-free) or SCD yogurt
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dill (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make sure your SCD + Keto Breadcrumbs are made and ready to go. (It might seem like an extra hassle to make these, but trust us, once you have them, you’ll want these burgers all the time-so worth it!)
- Open containers of salmon and drain. Place the salmon in cheesecloth or a clean dish towel and wring out the remaining liquid-you want the salmon to be pretty dry at this point. Then put the salmon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add your mayo, egg, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco, and mix them into the salmon with a fork. Then add the bread crumbs, diced red onion, capers, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix again until evenly combined. Place saran wrap over top and chill for 15 minutes in the freezer. (You can also leave it in the fridge overnight and cook the next day.)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Once your salmon is chilled, go ahead and make your burger patties. This will make 4 large or 6 medium sized patties. Place them on a piece of parchment paper or plate.
- Next you’ll sear the burgers–if you’re watching calories, they can be baked through without searing.
- In a medium to large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat. When it begins to bubble, add in 3 of your burgers. Let them cook on each side for about a minute and a half to 2 minutes–you just want to sear them long enough to get that nice color.
- Place the seared burgers on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the next batch.
- Put seared burgers into the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. You can place a piece of foil lightly over top of them if you want to avoid over-browning.
- While the burgers are in the oven, you can get your horseradish sauce ready or whatever condiments you prefer.
- Serve on toasted bun with preferred condiments and toppings, enjoy! Leftovers can be frozen and reheated or refrigerated in an airtight container.
Keywords: salmon, salmon burger, scd, keto, low carb, grain-free, gluten-free, hamburger bun, specific carbohydrate diet, picnic