*Less than 2 net carbs per cup! See nutrition facts below the recipe.
**Swerve has 0 net carbs
- 1 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cream or half + half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- *save for later– 1/3 cup espresso (decaf ok) or strong coffee (to be used on cooled cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start with the cake layer: In a medium to large bowl, whisk together almond flour, Swerve, and baking soda. Add your egg, milk, olive oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar. Blend with whisk or electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, just an inch full for each one.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. They will rise quite a bit initially and come down a bit as they continue to bake. Remove from oven and cool completely–we place ours in the freezer for 15 minutes while we make the coffee and filling.
- Go ahead and make your espresso/coffee and let it cool.
- For the filling: In a large bowl add the heavy cream, mascarpone and vanilla. Blend together on high with an electric hand mixer until cream is stiff-about 2-2.5 minutes. Sift Swerve over top and blend that in to the stiffened cream. Place cream into a piping bag or ziplock bag and cut off the corner tip. Put the bag of whipped cream into the fridge momentarily.
- Poke holes in your cooled cakes and then pour a little spoonful of espresso over each one.
- Take the prepared cream out of the fridge and pipe a healthy dollop onto each cake. You can smooth the tops with a lightly wetted knife and then sift cocoa powder over top. Continue the same process with each cake.
- Place them in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm and then serve. You’ll want to make these a few hours before serving, so they’re nice and fresh. They can be made and frozen ahead of time, just thaw on the countertop for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!