5.4 net carbs per cupcake
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or coconut milk for keto)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1.5 tablespoons vanilla extract (it’s a lot but works beautifully!)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- If you want your cupcakes a vibrant yellow, add a couple drops of natural coloring.
- Chocolate Frosting
- 2 oz Unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate (8 squares)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3.5 tablespoons whole milk or coconut milk divided
- 1 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, Swerve Confectioner, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add eggs, applesauce, milk, olive oil, melted butter, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Blend until batter is smooth. Use batter immediately.
- Spoon batter into muffin liners only 1/2 of the way full, no more. This is an important step to follow, and no worries, they will rise beautifully to the top of the liner.
- Making sure your oven is preheated, bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then rotate muffin tin by 180 degrees and place a long sheet of foil loosely over the top of the tin and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool COMPLETELY before removing from pan. They will still be just a touch soft to the touch but they will finish setting up during the cooling process. (If you’re in a rush, you can place them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes after they’ve had a chance to cool on the counter for 5 minutes).
- While you’re waiting for your cupcakes to cool, go ahead and blend together your frosting.
- Melt Baker’s Chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Slowly stir melted butter into melted chocolate with a dry fork until smooth. Then slowly add vanilla extract and finally 2 tbsp of your milk, again stirring until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the Swerve, cocoa powder and salt over top of your chocolate. Blend with hand mixer starting on medium, then high speed until fluffy and smooth. Frosting will be just a touch loose at this point. Place bowl in freezer for just 5 minutes-this hardens the chocolate and butter-then whip again with hand mixer for about 2 minutes on high until nice and fluffy. Add remaining 1.5 tbsp of milk and blend again. (Sneak a little taste, it’s sooooo good!)
- Pipe or spread your frosting onto cupcakes immediately and decorate however you like, serve and enjoy!! (If you leave your frosting out for a while, you’ll need to blend it again before spreading or piping).
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: about 25 min
Keywords: grain-free, gluten-free, keto, low-carb, yellow cake, cupcakes, birthday, diet, healthy, easy recipe