There is just nothing like an Old Fashioned Yellow Cupcake with Chocolate Frosting–especially when that cupcake is low-carb and grain-free! This recipe is a cinch to put together, perfect for birthdays and every days!
Hello friends! I’m so glad you’re here, you’re in for a real treat today with these Low-Carb Yellow Cupcakes!!❤️ But before we get to the recipe, I wanted to share a little update.
I normally don’t blog personal information, but the last couple of weeks have been particularly challenging, so it felt like the right thing to do. I deal with chronic pain due to some health issues and at times, it can be almost unbearable-I know some of you can totally relate to what I’m saying. Creating recipes is such a blessing under the circumstances because it’s something I can do from home-and something I so dearly love. Often they are created through a few tears and nearly giving up, but many prayers and the encouragement from my family and friends keep me going. I just want to encourage you- if you are in a difficult situation, don’t give up, friend. It’s amazing sometimes what lies around the corner.
So, let’s talk about these cupcakes! I really wanted these to taste like the amazing cupcakes your grandma or great aunt would make—buttery, vanilla deliciousness with that old fashioned milk chocolate frosting. They smell SO GOOD and taste SO GOOD—I can’t even think of proper adjectives, I mostly speak in drool when it comes these delicious goodies.
And this is a simple yet strict recipe—easy to make, but you will need to follow the directions to a T. The lower the starch, the finickier the cake, I say. But have no fear, these cupcakes are an easy 1 bowl recipe, just follow the steps in the sequence and timing given, and they will be absolutely delicious!
*If you love these, check out our low-carb Devil’s Food Cupcakes!
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Cupcakes!😊
5.4 net carbs per cupcake
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or coconut milk for keto)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1.5 tablespoons vanilla extract (it’s a lot but works beautifully!)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- If you want your cupcakes a vibrant yellow, add a couple drops of natural coloring.
- Chocolate Frosting
- 2 oz Unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate (8 squares)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3.5 tablespoons whole milk or coconut milk divided
- 1 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, Swerve Confectioner, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add eggs, applesauce, milk, olive oil, melted butter, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Blend until batter is smooth. Use batter immediately.
- Spoon batter into muffin liners only 1/2 of the way full, no more. This is an important step to follow, and no worries, they will rise beautifully to the top of the liner.
- Making sure your oven is preheated, bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then rotate muffin tin by 180 degrees and place a long sheet of foil loosely over the top of the tin and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool COMPLETELY before removing from pan. They will still be just a touch soft to the touch but they will finish setting up during the cooling process. (If you’re in a rush, you can place them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes after they’ve had a chance to cool on the counter for 5 minutes).
- While you’re waiting for your cupcakes to cool, go ahead and blend together your frosting.
- Melt Baker’s Chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Slowly stir melted butter into melted chocolate with a dry fork until smooth. Then slowly add vanilla extract and finally 2 tbsp of your milk, again stirring until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the Swerve, cocoa powder and salt over top of your chocolate. Blend with hand mixer starting on medium, then high speed until fluffy and smooth. Frosting will be just a touch loose at this point. Place bowl in freezer for just 5 minutes-this hardens the chocolate and butter-then whip again with hand mixer for about 2 minutes on high until nice and fluffy. Add remaining 1.5 tbsp of milk and blend again. (Sneak a little taste, it’s sooooo good!)
- Pipe or spread your frosting onto cupcakes immediately and decorate however you like, serve and enjoy!! (If you leave your frosting out for a while, you’ll need to blend it again before spreading or piping).
Keywords: grain-free, gluten-free, keto, low-carb, yellow cake, cupcakes, birthday, diet, healthy, easy recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, that means that I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Income allows us to purchase products to test the recipes you see here! Thank you for your support.