- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch (or potato starch)
- 1/2 sugar
- 1/3 cup “jimmies” (Color Kitchen brand is GF–link in post above)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 cup milk or plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (clear vanilla for light color cupcakes)
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free)
- 2/3 cup butter or Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons milk or plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (clear for lighter color)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Color Kitchen Jimmies or Olive Nation Pastels (link in post above).
- MAGIC SHELL:
- 1 twelve ounce bag white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- a couple drops of pink food coloring, if desired. (Natural option in post above).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, “jimmies”, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add milk, olive oil, egg, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract to your dry mix. Blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into your cupcake liners a little over half way full. Place cupcake tin into oven, bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You can gently place foil overtop at about 15 minutes in, it will keep the cupcakes lighter in color and keep the tops a bit softer.
- While your cupcakes are baking, blend together your frosting ingredients until smooth and place into a large piping bag or large ziplock bag with and inch cut off the tip.
- Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack. After they’re cooled, swirl frosting on top with piping bag. Place cupcakes into freezer for 15-20 minutes until icing hardens.
- Meanwhile, in a small, microwave safe bowl, add in your white chocolate chips and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring at each interval until melted and smooth. Add in coconut oil and stir again until smooth. Finally, add your food coloring, if desired and blend into chocolate well.
- Take each chilled cupcake and dip it into the magic shell, letting the excess drip off the side. Sprinkle with “jimmies” or pastels and place each one in the freezer to set up, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and serve or store in an airtight container until time of serving. Enjoy!!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, funfetti, cake, cupcakes, birthday, party