***You can use our Paleo Bread or SCD/Keto Bread in this recipe and skip straight to the vegetable mix below once you have your croutons made, just make sure to add the 2 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning to your bread mix before baking).
For The Vegan Croutons:
- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp potato starch, (not potato flour).
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 + 1/4 cups milk or any plain milk substitute
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- For The Vegetable Mix:
- 1 + 1/2 onions, sliced
- 5 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (or more if desired)
- 1/2 cup cooked + crumbled sausage or vegan sausage (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, Italian seasoning, guar gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Blend in milk, olive oil and apple cider vinegar until batter is smooth.
- Immediately pour batter into parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until firm. It will resemble cornbread.
- Remove from oven and let cool COMPLETELY before cutting. When cooled, cut into crouton size cubes. Place cubes on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until crisp-turning them over as each side browns, about every 8 minutes or so–this process takes about 25-30 minutes altogether. Remove from the oven and let them cool and dry out.
- While you’re waiting for the croutons to cool, chop and then sauté vegetables in olive oil and butter at medium heat, starting with the celery then adding in the onions and mushrooms last. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. Do not overcook as they will continue to cook when stuffing is in the oven.
- Once your croutons have baked, and cooled completely, –Place croutons in a large bowl and pour sautéd vegetables overtop. Toss mix until vegetable are evenly distributed, salt to taste. Add dried cranberries and combine evenly.
- Add a little chicken stock at a time and toss again. Let mix stand for 5 minutes while croutons absorb some of the moisture. Toss again lightly and pour into casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes or until cooked through and crusty on top.
- Stuffing may be prepped and stored in the fridge the day before. Feel free to add sausage and pecans, or your family’s favorite stuffing ingredients! Leftovers should be refrigerated and will keep for three days. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, lowcarb, vegan, paleo, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, stuffing, thanksgiving, christmas, dinner