I hope everyone had a great weekend!
We’re kicking this week off with our delicious + cheery Paleo Sugar Cookie Sandwiches. These lovelies are spectacular even without the frosting! SUPER easy to throw together and pop in the oven for a quick bake. And wonderful with a cup of tea in the afternoon for a special treat.💗
You’ll find them perfectly soft and chewy, your teeth just sink right into them—then the lovely and familiar flavor of vanilla takes over your senses–it’s heavenly.✨ All that being said, who doesn’t love a little frosting on their sugar cookies??? If you have the time, it’s definitely worth it—plus they’re so much fun to decorate!!
A few tips:
-You’ll want to let your Paleo sugar cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 full minutes before transferring them to a plate or cooling rack. They will be soft when removed from the oven and will firm up a touch in those 10 minutes.
-Be careful not to overcook as they can brown if left to bake too long.
-Make sure your cookies are completely cooled before spreading them with frosting.
Enjoy the recipe and Happy Baking!😄
- FOR THE COOKIES:
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter (or ghee)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond milk or coconut milk
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 6 pieces Baker’s Chocolate, unsweetened. (1.5 ounces) Hu Kitchen makes great paleo chocolate if you prefer not to use Baker’s.
- 1/2 cup butter or ghee
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons egg white powder (we like Hoosier Hill Farms) or egg white protein powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together almond flour, arrowroot starch/flour and salt.
- Add melted butter, honey, vanilla extract and work into flour by hand until dough forms. Dough will be a bit sticky
- Let dough sit for 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough in-between two pieces of parchment paper so the dough does not stick to the rolling pin.
- Cut out cookies into desired shapes, lift and peel carefully and transfer to parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 -15 minutes. Cookies will be golden around the edges and soft. Remove baking tray and let cookies cool on tray for 10 minutes before transferring to plate. They will be soft when you remove them from the oven and will firm up a bit during the initial cooling process.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- Melt Baker’s Chocolate in microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals. When chocolate is melted, stir in honey until smooth. Add vanilla extract and combine again. Slowly pour sifted egg white powder, arrowroot starch and salt into chocolate mixture and blend. Frosting will be fairly thin at this point.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes and the chocolate will harden up a bit, setting the icing. Blend the icing one last time until fluffy. (Will not require refrigeration again). Place into piping bags or spread onto cookies as desired. Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container, enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 15
Keywords: paleo, grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, chocolate, cookies, sandwichcookies, snacks, dessert