Keto Chocolate Chip Cake Donuts
Start the day off right with these super scrumptious Keto Chocolate Chip Cake Donuts!
Keto Chocolate Chip Cake Donuts Keto, shmeeto! These grain-free, low-carb donuts are so delicious you’ll be scratching your head as to how these aren’t made with sugar and gluten! But there’s nothing to fear here, it’s just the right balance of almond flour, swerve, vanilla, eggs and coconut milk- plus a couple extras.
This recipe yields a half dozen, we used this Wilton Donut Pan but feel free to use any pan you like best. We greased the pan a bit more liberally for this recipe and find it gives an easier release after baking.
This is a simple, no fuss recipe–it’s just one bowl for the batter and the chocolate glaze can be prepared as your donuts are cooling. You can make a few batches at a time and freeze them for when the mood strikes– these are amazing for breakfast, dessert or tea time!
And these low-carb treats have a true cake donut texture and taste, I really can’t express just how delicious they are, you’ll have to try them for yourself, we hope you’ll love them as much as we do!
If you love these donuts, then we think you’ll also enjoy our:
Low-Carb Lemon Blueberry Bread
Happy Baking, Enjoy The Recipe!Print
Keto Chocolate Chip Donuts
- Total Time: 40 min
- Yield: half dozen
- Diet: Gluten Free
Each donut has 5.5 carbs, see nutrition below this recipe.
*Swerve has zero net carbs
- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioner Sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 egg + 1 additional yolk
- 1/3 cup half + half or full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Lily’s Stevia Chocolate Chips (Milk or Dark Chocolate) (We like the milk chocolate the best but the dark chocolate is great for dairy-free)
For The Glaze
- 3.5 tablespoon melted butter (Earth Balance for Dairy-Free)
- 2 + 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk or half + half
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (Droste for richer color and taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- **For extra shine, melt down 1/3 cup of Lily’s chocolate chips with a tablespoon of coconut oil and mix into the glaze above. (See below in the instructions).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your donut pan very liberally with butter or dairy-free butter spread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and gelatin.
- Add egg and additional yolk, milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Blend together with whisk until smooth, batter will be thick. Add chocolate chips and blend again. Spoon batter into a piping bag or a large ziplock bag and cut an inch or so off the tip.
- Pipe batter into your greased donut wells (this recipe makes a half dozen).
- Place your prepared donut pan into the preheated oven and bake first for 15 minutes uncovered, then gently turn the pan 180 degrees, place a piece of foil lightly over top and bake for an additional 10 minutes. (That’s 25 minutes total).
- Donuts will still be somewhat soft to the touch at this point and will set the rest of the way up as they cool. Remove from oven and place donut pan into the freezer for 10 minutes to cool. (Set a timer so you don’t forget about them).
- Gently run a knife around the edge of the donuts and flip the pan over onto a cutting board or cooling rack. Let is sit flipped over for 5 minutes, the moisture will help to release them from the pan. After five minutes, tap on the wells with the knife until the donuts release. They will need another ten minutes to finish cooling completely.
- While you’re waiting for the donuts to finish cooling, go ahead and make your glaze.
- Place your melted butter, vanilla and milk into a medium or large bowl. Sift in Swerve, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk together until smooth. You can spread it on your donuts this way, or for the extra glossy glaze you see here in the post, make the glaze as mentioned above and then melt down 1/3 cup of the Lily’s chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Stir until smooth and whisk it right into the glaze.
- Pour glaze over donuts– you can place them in the freezer for 5 minutes until the glaze has set, then serve and enjoy! You can make a couple batches and freeze them if you like. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Low-Carb
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Donuts
Keywords: grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, keto, low-carb, chocolate chip, donuts, breakfast, easy recipe, healthy recipe, sugarfree
Yum!! Love the clean ingredients. These are gorgeous!!
You are so kind, thank you Jennifer! I can never pass up a good donut! 😉
I can see the cake texture here and it looks so divine!! Excited to try these beautiful round delights! I can cheat and technically not be cheating haha!!
Aw haha yes, a cheat without being a real cheat! And thank you so much, I hope you love them my friend!
Has anyone made these without egg? And where is there a good place to buy full fat coconut milk?
Your recipe looks so, so good.
That’s so kind of you to say, thank you! We get our coconut milk through Amazon Fresh, Thrive Market–or Whole Foods + Trader Joe’s both have great brands of full fat coconut milk. We have not tested this without eggs. If we can get it to work well without the eggs, we’ll respond to your comment again with an update, hope this helps! 😀
Your photos are sure making me crave donuts, Catherine! These are amazing – that frosting….can’t believe they’re keto!
Thank you dear Katherine, you’re the sweetest! I’m scared to make another batch, these donuts just go down way too easy haha! 😉
Those chocolate chip donuts are the bomb! Cake donuts are the best! I can’t wait to try them. Pinning! xo
Aww thank you my friend! 😀 I hope you love them, I agree cake donuts are just so yummy!!
It’s official, we are coming over to your place for breakfast! These chocolate chip cake donuts are so decadent looking!
Haha yay!! Come on over! 😀 And thank you so much, donuts are just the best.