This SCD Pasta Salad delivers in both flavor and simple preparation– and it packs a powerful protein punch to boot!
Happy Sunday! This recipe is a take on my mom’s super easy and incredibly delicious cold pasta salad. I want to tell you before we get started that I’m not a huge fan of the sweet deli-style variety which is heavy on the Miracle Whip. (I apologize to any Miracle Whip loyals–my grandmother actually loved it!!) A touch of sweetness never hurts and balances the acidity in the dressing, but when it becomes cloying, the flavors of the veggies are lost—that being said, if you love added sweetness, you can just increase the amount of honey in the dressing to suit your taste, I won’t tell! 😉
You can choose any pasta shape your heart desires, we chose this scd-friendly lentil rotini, but they also have macaroni and penne should you prefer. And the toppings are totally up to you!! This dressing is very light in flavor when mingled with the pasta, so whatever toppings you choose will be highlighted. We love chicken and shrimp just as well as the ham– and broccoli in place of the peas is also a winner! **If you love lentil pasta, check out our deliciously cheesy scd pasta bake!
All in all, this is a wonderful, simple dish to whip up for packed lunches, dinner sides or a main entree and there is plenty for leftovers-I love a dish I can eat throughout the week! Enjoy The Recipe!😊
- 1 box Tolerant Lentil Rotini Pasta (*for advanced SCD, see top of post for details)
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup sliced ham (salt cured, no additives) or chicken, salmon, etc.
- 1/2 cup (or more if you like) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded (optional, omit for dairy-free)
- Italian parsley for garnish
- **add chopped celery for some crunch if desired
Dressing (*If you already have Italian dressing on hand, just mix 1/3 of a cup with the mayo).
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tiny drizzle of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 little pinch of paprika
- 1/3 cup SCD-friendly Mayonnaise or homemade
- salt + pepper to taste (if you use salted garlic/onion powders, be aware you will need less salt-taste first).
- Bring about 6 quarts of water to a boil
- While your water is coming to a boil, go ahead and make your dressing: Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and honey. Add powdered onion, garlic, paprika and Italian Seasoning and whisk again. Spoon in mayo and blend again until smooth. Take a quick taste-if you find it under-seasoned add salt to desired taste. Set aside.
- Add your pasta to the boiling water and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick together.
- Drain pasta well then add it into a large bowl. Pour dressing over top of hot pasta and toss. Add frozen peas, (they do not need defrosting-the warm pasta brings them to the right temp) onions, ham and tomatoes. Toss again. (Add additional salt and cracked pepper if desired to taste).
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until nice and chilled. Sprinkle parmesan over top and serve with parsley. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 7 min (Plus water boiling)
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, scd, specific carbohydrate diet, dairy-free, pasta salad, lunch recipes, easy dinner, packed lunch