These incredibly moist and scrumptious SCD Carrot Cake Cupcakes make a delicious treat morning, noon and evening!
SCD Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Happy February, friends! We are all about simple recipes this week– the faster we can get them to the table, the happier we are. And my husband and I have just fallen in love with these cupcakes–both with and without the frosting. They make for a deliciously easy breakfast, snack or dessert.
I should mention that the cupcakes themselves are paleo and dairy-free, the SCD-Friendly Farmer Cheese Frosting is absolutely divine, but completely optional. These treats are just as satisfying sans topping.
Add walnuts and raisins to the batter for a more traditional carrot cake feel and make sure to keep these guys refrigerated. They stay fresh longer and we’ve always just loved our carrot and zucchini breads + cakes chilled, it seems to bring out the flavor even more!
If you love these cupcakes, we think you might also enjoy our SCD Banana Bread! Happy Baking!
Paleo + Dairy-Free Version Omit Frosting
- 2.5 cups almond flour
- 2.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup shredded carrots (use the fine side of the grater)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or raisins (optional)
FROSTING (paleo + dairy-free versions omit frosting)
- 7 1/2 ounces Farmer Cheese (Dry Curd Cottage Cheese) We use Friendship brand or you can use homemade SCD cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cupcake tin with liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, cinnamon and baking soda until evenly combined.
- Add eggs, honey, olive oil, vanilla extract, coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk together well until batter is smooth.
- Add in your finely shredded carrot and whisk again until evenly incorporated. Spoon batter into cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full.
- Place into a preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven, place on countertop or fridge to cool. Do not remove cupcakes from tin until completely cooled—they will still be setting up during the cooling process. No cheating until they are nice and cool ;).
- While you’re waiting for your cupcakes to cool, go ahead and make your frosting: In a food processor (or blender), cream together your softened butter and Farmer Cheese. Add in honey + vanilla extract and blend again until smooth. Place frosting in freezer for 5-8 minutes to firm up. (The butter will cool, which thickens the frosting). Remove your frosting from the freezer and blend again in food processor until smooth. Spread or pipe over cooled cupcakes and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: SCD
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: cupcakes
Keywords: specific carbohydrate diet, paleo, dairyfree, glutenfree, grainfree, carrot cake, cupcakes, birthday