Grain-Free Potato Cakes
Potato Cakes (Grain-Free and Dairy-Free)
Here is a quick and easy recipe that will turn your leftover mashed potatoes into a delicious grain-free meal or side: Potato Cakes (Grain-Free and Dairy-Free)
We’ve all been there. Too many leftovers from a super-sized restaurant portion or from last night’s dinner party where everyone went crazy for the the macaroni, but left the poor mashed potatoes all alone?! (So sad!!) Those leftovers often get tossed out, as lets face it- mashed potatoes just aren’t the same the next day–in texture or in taste. What to do?? Create something new!
The addition of spices and scallions brings wonderful flavor anew and wakes these leftover mashed potatoes right up! The pan frying adds a super tasty and savory crust, further adding to the deliciousness. Oh and don’t forget the condiments, we love Sriracha with ours, it adds just the right kick. If you’re not into heat, chop up some fresh chives and add a dollop or two of sour cream. These make a lovely entrée paired with a hearty salad and they work beautifully as a side dish as well. Happy Cooking!
Grain-Free Potato Cakes
- Total Time: 55 min
- Yield: 10 1x
- 6 Large potatoes made into mashed potatoes in whichever style preferred
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Potato Starch, more for dusting.
- 1/2 cup Chopped Scallions
- 2 teaspoons Guar Gum (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil, for the pan.
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter, for the pan. (Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel, boil potatoes, mash with butter, milk or milk substitute and salt to taste.
- Let mashed potatoes cool. In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix egg into potatoes and then add dry ingredients.
- Form into 8-10 cakes and dust lightly with potato starch mixed with a bit of salt and paprika.
- Heat olive oil and butter on medium heat then add in potato cakes when butter is frothy-about four at a time.
- Brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes each side then transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and finish cooking through in oven. (About ten minutes). Serve with sour cream, chives, or desired condiments
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, potatocakes, mashedpotatoes, dinnersides, dinner
I had these at a restruant and they were the best thing ever and I have been dying to get my hands on a recipe for them, I am gluten and dairy free and didn’t think that I would be able to find one for it. Thank you these were really good!!!
Oh thank you, I’m so delighted to hear you enjoyed the recipe!! We love them too, such a yummy dinner side! 😀