Bake your way to Low-Carb bliss with these scrumptious Keto Key Lime Cupcakes!
Who knew that lime and cream would make such a beautiful duo? I certainly never would have guessed. In my youth, I was always puzzled by things like key lime pies and citrus creamsicles– that is, of course, until I tried them.
I think for a time my great devotion to chocolate prevented me from exploring other flavors. Thank goodness for the gentle persuasion of family and friends, or my recipes would be sorely lacking in some crucial, classic pairings! And…I must admit that sometimes there is indeed life beyond chocolate! 😉
These delectable cupcakes are a bit tart, yet the coconut milk or dairy (both options are in the recipe below), balance the citrus and offer a lovely delicateness in flavor. I can’t wait for you to take a bite, they are a true treat–perfect for the summer weather and they make a lovely alternative to traditional vanilla or chocolate birthday cupcakes.
Plus there isn’t much prepping involved, these can be made and ready to serve within an hour’s time.
- Make double sure your oven is preheated before baking, I can’t tell you the amount of times it’s slipped our minds–it makes a big difference!
- Adding lime zest to the cream cheese frosting gives extra zing, as does grating additional zest over top after piping.
- If you prefer lemon to lime, you can absolutely swap them out one-for-one in the recipe and I think orange could also work well here.
- Edible flowers like purple pansies can be a lovely accompaniment to these cupcakes if you want some added flair for a special occasion.
- These are delicious served right after you finish frosting the cooled cupcakes, but they are also really yummy if they’ve been chilled in the fridge overnight. Something about the cold just makes the citrus flavor pop.
- Occasionally we like to wrap a ribbon around one of these cupcake containers when giving these as gifts to friends. The separate compartments keep the icing tidy so all of your hard work doesn’t go to waste.
If You Enjoyed These Cupcakes, You Might Also Love Our:
Enjoy The Recipe, Happy Baking!Print
*4.4 net carbs per cupcake
- 2.5 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- zest of 3 limes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut milk (or half + half, cream)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 3 tablespoons key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Go ahead and get out a long sheet of aluminum foil that spans the entire length of the cupcake pan plus an additional inch. Set aside for later.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Swerve, baking powder, baking soda and gelatin. Add lime zest overtop and whisk together again until evenly combined.
- Add your eggs, milk, olive oil, lime juice and apple cider vinegar and blend together with whisk until combined well and batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into muffin liners just a touch over 1/2 of the way full, no more. (If you have any extra batter you can bake an additional cupcake in an extra cupcake pan or using the same pan after these have cooled.) Place your pan into a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 14 minutes, then gently rotate the pan 180 degrees and place your piece of foil very lightly over the cupcakes. We create a little dome with the foil. Then bake for an additional 12 minutes. (Make sure to use a timer). The foil will keep the cupcakes from over-browning.
- After baking, take the pan out of the oven and let your cupcakes COOL COMPLETELY before removing from the pan. We like to place the pan in the freezer to cool for about 20-25 minutes, works beautifully.
- While you’re waiting for the cupcakes to cool, go ahead and mix together your frosting: With a hand mixer, blend together your softened cream cheese and butter. (It will become smooth once you blend in the Swerve).
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes, serve and enjoy!! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and place in refrigerator. (These cupcakes are excellent chilled). See Tips in post above for additional recommendations.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 26 min
- Category: Low-Carb
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Cupcakes
Keywords: keto, grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, blueberry, lime, cupcakes, dessert, summer, birthday, key lime, low-carb, sugarless