Grain-Free w/ Dairy-Free Option 💕
Today we have for you our delicious grain-free take on the classic Molasses Cake. We love to serve it up warm with a healthy dollop of lemon cream frosting–but the style + presentation is totally up to you as there are a great variety of ways to serve this amazing spiced cake.
Bake it in a bundt pan for an elegant presentation, a cupcake tin for birthdays, an 8×8 baking dish for a simple sheet cake, or a loaf pan for a sweet breakfast slice. Oh! And my favorite of course, is to fill 6 mini cake pans to create 3 dainty two layer cakes—perfect for high tea!🍰 The good news is, you’ll end up with a winner regardless.
And my goodness, I’ve gone this whole time without describing the cake! It is incredibly moist and rich, full of sweet molasses flavor and spice. The lemon frosting is the perfect companion that can be made thick or thin like a glaze, you really just have so many choices here.
And there are no tips for today! This recipe is a super cinch, no need for extra instructions, just enjoy!💗
Enjoy the recipe + Happy Baking!😊Print
- 3 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free).
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature (or Earth Balance Spread).
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk or almond milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda + baking powder.
- Blend in milk, molasses, egg, olive oil, vanilla + apple cider vinegar.
- Pour batter into a parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish or loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. Cover with foil at the 30 minute mark. Let cake cool 15 full minutes before serving. (And let it cool completely before frosting).
- Mix frosting together while you’re waiting for the cake to cool. For thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar, to thin it out, add more milk.
- Frost + decorate as desired and serve, store any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, molassescake, holidaybaking, cake