Paleo + SCD Friendly
Good Morning, Friends!
As we are now fully engaged in this Fall season, I thought it appropriate to bring on the pumpkin sweets!🎃 And nothing is sweeter than a sweet roll, of course!— Well, a pinwheel, to be exact.
Cinnamon pinwheels were my first real introduction into baking, thanks to my wonderful and very patient mother. And this is my paleo pumpkin infused take on those very confections—they’re like little spiralized pumpkin pies, but a bit gooier and topped with a thick vanilla glaze.
We are actually in the process of creating a Cookbook (Ebook) containing 30 sweet and savory SCD recipes, hoping to release it at the end of this year!
Tips For Today:
-Read through the instructions before you begin, it will take the stress out of the process.:-)
-You can also use our SCD Farmer’s Cheese Frosting, you can find it here in our SCD Pumpkin Bread post. This alternative is for SCD, not the Paleo version).
-After creating your dough, make sure to let your dough rest for 5 minutes.
-Roll your dough in between two pieces of parchment paper so it will not stick to the rolling pin, it will be a touch sticky.
-Use your parchment paper to push the dough forward to roll into a wheel. After the first rotation, cup the log a bit to secure the shape—then the next rotations should move smoothly. Don’t worry if you end up with a crack along the way, you can mend it with a bit of water using your fingertips.
-For a more traditional frosting, you can use 1/2 cup SCD “cream cheese” with 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp butter + 1/2 tsp vanilla + 1/8th tsp salt.
-You can find more information on the SCD Diet here
Happy Pinwheel Making, enjoy the recipe!😊
- 3 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree (no additives)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened to spread on dough)
- ICING GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup butter or Spectrum vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 tablespoons egg white powder (or egg white protein powder)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ***Alternative SCD Option: you can use our Farmer Cheese Frosting from our SCD Pumpkin Bread Recipe, link in post above in Tips section.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour + baking soda.
- Add in pumpkin puree, 3 tbsp melted butter, egg, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 tbsp vanilla + 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar. Combine together with large fork and then work through by hand to form dough–will be a just a bit sticky. Form into a disc and let dough sit for 5 minutes. (While your dough rests, mix together your filling).
- Roll out dough into a large square in between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Spread butter overtop, then add honey spice mixture and spread over the entire surface and sprinkle pecans.
- Grabbing onto the parchment paper, roll your dough forward one rotation and lightly squeeze together to firm up and secure the shape, then continue to roll forward until you reach the end of the dough. Don’t worry if you end up with a crack or two, it can be mended easily with a bit of water, using your fingertips.
- Cut the log into 8 pieces and place rolls into a parchment paper lined disposable pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes until the outer edges start to brown a touch.
- Let them cool a FULL 15 minutes. While you’re letting them cool, go ahead and mix together your icing glaze with a hand mixer. Pinwheels will still be a bit warm at this point and the icing will loosen a bit with the heat and drizzle down the sides. If you prefer the frosting to stay thick, allow the pinwheels to cool an additional 10-15 minutes. They are delicious either way.
- Drizzle any leftover honey cinnamon mixture and enjoy! Use a spatula to serve pinwheels. Cover any leftovers with saran wrap.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, pinwheels, pumpkin, sweetrolls, cinnamonrolls, breakfast