These Keto Cheddar and Chive Scones are savory low-carb heaven! Perfect for breakfast-time, snack-time as well as a dinner-time, they will always have you coming back for more!
| Keto Cheddar + Chive Scones | Hi friends, we’ve got a delicious, savory treat for you today that’s guaranteed to perk up your weekday breakfasts! These keto scones are adapted from our grain-free jalapeño scones-and if you happen to be a fan of scones, we have good news because we’re featuring a keto cranberry orange version in our upcoming cookbook. We’ve been busy at work on two delicious and affordable eCookbooks– 25 essential SCD recipes + 25 essential Low-Carb recipes! Here is a little sneak peak below: Low-Carb Black Forest cake, SCD/Low-Carb Chicken Fingers, Low-Carb Cranberry/Orange scones and SCD Cinnamon Blackberry Cake plus much more. We’re hoping to have these books available on the site here for just $9 each late summertime 2020!
Now back to the recipe at hand! My husband is mad for our Jalapeño scones and we tested + tested these keto savory scones until we had his full approval, and we got it!! They smell ridiculously good in the oven, I never realized just how fragrant chives are when baking-especially with the butter and cheddar-just heavenly!
These are a lot of fun and I think satisfying to make–I’m such a sucker for symmetry, cutting a disk of dough into quarters and eighths, lining them up on the baking sheet-there’s nothing like it. I think too it’s the nerdy excitement of experiencing the whole process– first from flour to dough, and then watching the heat transform the dough further into a new form and something quite delicious at that!
You can of course sub in jalapeño as well as any kind of cheese you’d like. We’ve been thinking about trying one with Canadian bacon and swiss, with a little mustard butter on the side–doesn’t that sound yummy?! Whatever you choose, I hope you love it, Happy Baking!😊
4.4 net carbs per serving *See full nutritional profile below
- 1 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of half and half (or heavy cream)
- set aside 1.5 melted butter + pinch of salt (for bushing + sprinkling over top of scones during the bake, see instructions below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, guar gum, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut chilled butter into flour with a pastry cutter in the same manner you would for a pie crust.
- Add shredded cheese and chopped chives and whisk into flour/butter mixture evenly.
- Add egg, half + half, and mix them into flour by hand until dough forms. Dough will be sticky. Let your dough rest for just a couple of minutes minutes while washing hands from excess dough. (The dough will thicken a bit while resting).
- Form the dough into a disk. (See our blueberry scone recipe for photo instructions of this process.)
- Place your dough disk onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten it out just a bit and cut into 4ths for medium to large size scones or into 8ths for small scones.
- Place a full piece of foil very lightly over top of the scones and bake at 350 degrees for a total of 35-40 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, turn the baking sheet 180 degrees. 10 minutes later, remove the foil and brush the tops a bit with melted butter and a light sprinkling of salt. Bake uncovered another 5-10 minutes. The scones at this point should be firm on the exterior but a touch tender in the center, they will firm up during the cooling process. They will be golden on top, with a slight browning on the edges.
- Cool for 30 minutes and serve. Or cool completely, store in an airtight container in the fridge and toast lightly before serving. Serve with butter if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: keto scones, low-carb, cheddar chive scones, gluten-free, grain-free, keto breakfast, savory, brunch