Start the day off right with these scrumptious Grain-Free Pecan Waffles!
Grainless Waffles (Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free)
I’m always wondering why I don’t make waffles more often, they really are such a breeze to prepare and can bring a lot of cheer to an otherwise dreary morning (I am not a morning person–on any level , haha 😉 ) My guess is, the waffle iron is the culprit-we perceive it as something extra, something we aren’t accustomed to dealing with–and perhaps most of all, something else to clean. But you know, I actually timed myself yesterday and the waffles only took just seconds longer to make than one of my usual go-to breakfasts–a fact that kind of blew my mind a bit. I mean, what have I been doing all these years??! Waffles are so getting incorporated into my weekly routine from now on. I’ll consider it a wake-up bribe 😉
As far as the recipe goes, it truly is no fuss and can be served, as you know, in a variety of ways– sweet, savory or even super sweet–with ice cream, chocolate and all the accoutrements. I personally like to keep things fairly minimal with a little fresh fruit and a drizzle of quality maple syrup. These waffles need very little embellishment as they are already delicious on their own-the vanilla and pecan are so lovely and you’ll find the outside crisp and the inside perfectly tender.
My only recommendation is that you do not thin out the batter too much as it can have a drying effect. This Grain-Free batter is a touch thicker than the traditional and it lends to it being moist.
Let’s get cooking! 😀
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grain-free baking powder (I use Hain brand).
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature. Then, in a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients except baking soda (we will add that in at the end).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, almond milk, oil and vanilla. (Save apple cider vinegar for later). Pour the wet mixture into the dry mix and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the top of the batter. Then pour the apple cider vinegar over the top of the baking soda and allow them to fizz (react) and fold into batter.
- Grease or spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter and cook until golden brown. *(If you prefer a thinner batter you may add a touch of almond milk. Note though that the grain-free batter will be slightly thicker in consistency vs. traditional batter-but will yield a very yummy result. Thinning out the batter may result in a dryer waffle).
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, waffles, breakfast, brunch