Sink your teeth into these deliciously dreamy Vegan Molasses Cake Donuts! With an easy Paleo option, these scrumptious confections are guilt-free.
Vegan Molasses Cake Donuts (Paleo Option)
Hey there friends, we wanted to get one more sweet holiday treat out to you before the end of the year and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! These spiced breakfast gems are soft baked deliciousness, dipped into the best vanilla glaze. It’s far easier to get out of bed in the morning when you’ve got a fresh donut waiting for you, right?
What You’ll Need:
If you’re a regular grain-free and gluten-free baker, you might just have all of the necessary ingredients on hand– and if not, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding these at your local grocer. You’ll need almond flour, tapioca starch, pumpkin pie spice (or a combo of ground ginger, cinnamon + cloves), baking soda, applesauce, maple syrup, molasses, olive oil, apple cider vinegar + vanilla extract. We dipped half of them in our vegan vanilla glaze (confectioner, salt, butter + vanilla) and rolled the rest in our paleo cinnamon coconut sugar. You can absolutely leave them free of topping, they’re certainly scrumptious enough on their own.
How We Make Our Grain-Free Vegan Donuts:
If you’ve made our Vegan Pumpkin and Cinnamon Apple Donuts, then you’re already familiar with our bake and steam process that lends to the amazing texture you see here. If this is your first time trying our donuts, have no fear– it’s super simple!
The trick is to cover the pan tightly with foil at the 12 minute mark. Don’t worry about squishing the donuts with the foil as the foil is covering what will be the bottom side of the donuts (when they’re flipped over after being cooled, they’ll be just perfect). The donuts will steam through while under the foil, rendering that wonderful moist, soft-baked cake donut texture. It is essential that they cool for 30 full minutes before removing from the pan. If you follow those simple steps, you’ll have yourself one fantastic molasses half dozen! See instructions in the recipe below for more details.
*Reading through the instructions ahead of time makes the baking process simple and stress-free. 🙂
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Vegan Vanilla Glaze (Scroll below for Paleo topping)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (“Wholesome!” brand is grain-free).
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Melted Vegan Butter (Earth Balance)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk (almond milk is fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut Sugar Topping
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar for vegan)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted ghee (or Earth Balance for vegan) (in dish to brush on cooled donuts before adding sugar).
- Grease donut pan well
- The foil coverage will steam the donuts, making them moist and delicious.
- They will firm during the cooling process. I tap the wells with a knife to help the donuts release. After they are flipped onto the cooling rack, a
- While you’re waiting, start getting the glaze ready. Whisk together your powdered sugar + salt, then slowly stir in your melted “butter”, almond milk + vanilla until smooth. Spoon glaze over donuts and place on rack or plate, allowing glaze to set. For the Paleo version, brush donuts with melted ghee and roll them in the coconut sugar mixed with cinnamon. Store any leftovers in airtight container, refrigerate if storing them more than one day. Enjoy!
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Donuts
Keywords: Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Paleo, Molasses, Donuts, Spice, Vanilla, Glaze, Holiday, Breakfast, Brunch, Gingerbread